Thursday, May 31, 2012

Beginnings

Some writing books advise you to begin a story with a bang, to jump right into the action, to "shoot the sheriff on the first page."

I don't do that. I like a more leisurely opening - whether I'm reading a story or writing one. 

I like to invite the reader onto the porch of the story -


Come on up, have a seat, take off your shoes, sit a while . . .

I want readers to feel comfy - 


and to be surrounded by air and light and natural beauty - 


I want to offer readers something worthy of their time - 


So, maybe you will come on up, set yourself down, stay a while . . . mm?

12 comments:

  1. I always know I'll be staying awhile when I visit your wonderful books, Sharon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thinking exactly! I do enjoy a leisurely opening. I especially like the first few paragraphs to Absolutely Normal Chaos. Even with the energetic title, you managed to ease me onto the porch. Great book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. Love those pictures. I remember you cradling a brand new baby Ben on that porch swing eight years ago. And I'm so, so happy you're writing a new book. Love, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be right over...perfect conditions. Thanks for the card...so thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm there, ,enjoying this quiet mood with you, sitting on the porch with some ice tea; Now, go on, tell me a story..

    ReplyDelete
  6. my favorite beginnings happen when the reader is able to feel how much the writer loves writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stating stories with a Bang or a slow burn each have there merits with me. But I must say, you could put me 'under your spell' on this porch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chapter 17: The Forever Guest

    Ease me into such a serene setting and I may never want to leave. You are surrounded by lovely "breathing space."

    Nothing implied here but the story of Hansel and Gretel comes to mind.

    A beautiful post. . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the idea of easing into the story. Though it has to be rather quick when I am writing for a newspaper and only using 500 words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your beginnings always invite me in with ease. I just like the lines to be interesting. My favorite is "Bailey, that Bailey! He said to me, ROSIE, GET OVER YOURSELF!" Those words made me want to know all about both Bailey and Rosie. I love their characters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks quite inviting. Excellent photos.

    Darryl and Ruth :)

    ReplyDelete