Friday, May 22, 2009


Of Trees and Water, 22 May, 2009

     Trees and water (rivers, ocean, lakes) abound in my books, so it will come as no surprise that I love and need these natural gifts.  Every office space I've had has included at least one window with view of at least one tree.  For many summers when I was young, my family spent a week or two (the whole of my father's annual vacation) at a small lake in Michigan.  When, just a few years ago, my husband and I were able to choose a house to renovate on a lakeside acre, we placed my office overlooking trees and lake.  
     The view (see above) doesn't distract me; it fuels me and inspires me.  I've often quoted the founder of the TASIS international schools, who said, "Every child needs and deserves beauty," and she particularly meant beauty of the environment.  I believe that profoundly.  We older people need it, too.
     I hope you all have a window and a scenic view.


No comments:

Post a Comment